What to do if I’m trying to have my child support reduced?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m trying to have my child support reduced?

I adopted my ex’s daughter and have paid support for her since we divorced 12 years ago. She turned 18 about 3 years ago and graduated high school the next year but isn’t going to college. I submitted the paperwork to the courts to have her pulled off the support order. They sent me the forms back telling me I need her high school transcript and birth certificate. Since I wasn’t put down as an emergency contact the school will not release her transricpt to me and because I’m not on the birth certificate the hospital won’t give me a copy of her birth certificate. My ex is not cooperative and her daughter wants nothing to do with me because her mom told her I’m not her real dad. I can’t afford a lawyer.

Asked on October 16, 2012 under Family Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to get the legal assistance that you need is to contact either of the following:

1. your local legal aid clinic;

2. county bar association to see if it has a progam to assist those needing legal aid that cannoit afford such;

3. the nearest law school to see if it has a clinic to assist those that need legal help that cannot afford private representation.

In essence, you need to subpoena documents from your daughter's school that you have written about. You can have such done through the court case where you are presently under a child support order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption