Should I consent to a speeding ticket or have a mitigation hearing?

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I consent to a speeding ticket or have a mitigation hearing?

I recieved a ticket for 10 over yesterday. I recently changed out my tires and the tires I put on are a different size. Little did I know, the tire company did not callibrate my speedometer according to the size of the tire. When the officer pulled me over, he told me I was going 70 (speed limit 60) and I told him my speedometer said 65 and he went and cited me. I have the receipt from the tire change and I also got a quote for tires of the appropriate size which shows intent to fix the incorrect tire size problem.

Asked on April 22, 2013 under Criminal Law, Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should take the items you have and also obtain an admission in writing from the mechanic that your tires were not calibrated properly. Hopefully, this will show the court that your intent was not to speed but keep in mind, that even 5 miles over the limit is still considered speeding and a violation in most jurisdictions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption