If my wife let’s her unlicensed son drive her car and he has an accident, can the liability reach all the way back to me?

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife let’s her unlicensed son drive her car and he has an accident, can the liability reach all the way back to me?

I’m recently married. My wife has a son that is 21 years old and lives in San Marcus Texas with his girl friend. My wife has an old car titled in her name that she lets her son drive for transportation, however has no driver’s license or insurance. The car is inspected but it has a registration sticker in her name. What happens if her son is in an accident and someone is hurt or worse?

Asked on January 26, 2015 under Accident Law, Texas


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your stepson gets in an accident, he is going to be in trouble for driving without a license.  You wife could also be liable for damages under the theory of "negligent entrustment," for letting him drive the car knowing he has no license and no insurance.  You personally should not be on the hook, unless you live in a community property state and you and your wife have acquired money and property since you got married.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption