If I’m only staying for5 months in my rental but have signed a year long contract, will I be sued?

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m only staying for5 months in my rental but have signed a year long contract, will I be sued?

I’m an international student who would be going to the US for one semester this year. As most, if not all university housing has a minimum 1-year lease, this poses quite a problem for me as I won’t be staying longer than 5 months. The lease contract states that I can write an advanced notice to the management however this does not release me from liability under the lease and they can withhold my security deposit unless all payments through ending date have been made.

Asked on January 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you could be sued.  Have you signed the agreement yet?  Is there no one with in the University you can speak with regarding this?it seems to me that if the University encourages international study they should be able to accomodate you by say placing you with a roommate short term and allowing you a shorter lease or allowing a sublet provisionin the lease.  otherwise look for private short term housing,  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption