If I started dental treatment 3 months ago, should I be responsible to pay even though the reason I am leaving is because of their poor job?

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I started dental treatment 3 months ago, should I be responsible to pay even though the reason I am leaving is because of their poor job?

I have had several fillings redone because the dentist insisted I get porcelain fillings but ever since she began working on my mouth everything has gone wrong. They’ve done fillings and I am now in pain. I cannot chew from the right side of my mouth because it is painful. I went back to cancel my treatment with them because I don’t feel comfortable with them anymore and I do not like the job they have done. The dentist became confrontational at the check-in counter. She is charging me an obscene amount to cancel.

Asked on March 4, 2013 under Malpractice Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am sure that the dentist had you sign something about the work and payment when you came in to start and that will be considered a contract.  Your claim here is that not only was there malpractice - which you will need to see another dentist about confirming and then an attorney - but a breach of the contract as a result.  You will not be paying the balance or the cancellation fee but you are going to have to be able to prove all of this when they sue you for the money.  And sue you they will.  So go and speak with another dentist above a second opinion and then a lawyer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption