What to do if I’m not a US citizen and I want to move to the US to work?

UPDATED: May 20, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m not a US citizen and I want to move to the US to work?

I’m currently holding a B2 Visa and have been to the US twice before. I’m a computer engineer with 3 years of professional experience and looking for a H1B sponsorship. My options now are to come to the US with B2 visa then look for job

Asked on May 20, 2015 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, that is basically what your options are for now given that the H-1B is subject to an annual quota and the quota for the upcoming year has already been filled (lottery system the past few years).  The earliest that a new H-1B could be filed on your behalf would be April 1, 2016 with a start date of employment of no earlier than October 1, 2016, which is when the following fiscal year would commence, with its annual quota.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption