What to do if my husband of 10 years will be purchasing our first home but only his name will be on the deed?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband of 10 years will be purchasing our first home but only his name will be on the deed?

He is financing it and he does not want me to have any legal interest in the home; he asked me to sign a notarized letter stating such. Now, he has changed this up and said he will be putting the house in trust. He claims this because he feels I am financially unstable and doesn’t want my “student loans” to come back (which I’m paying) and someone to sue him. Can he do this? If we divorce will my daughter and I be left in the dark?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I certainly hoped you signed nothing.  I think that the issues here are far bigger than whose name the house is in and you need to get to the bottom of that matter.  But just so you know a home purchased during a marriage is considered to be marital proeprty regardless of whose name it is in.  Sign no documents waiving anything and have an attorney look at all of them.  Money earned during a marriage is also marital property.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption