What to do if we can’t pay a traffic ticket?

UPDATED: Oct 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we can’t pay a traffic ticket?

Regarding a citation that my son attempted to dispute but has been turned away from court 4 times. My son was using my car and was cited for being 2 MPH over the limit and not showing proof of insurance it was in the car, he could not find it quickly. The officer confirmed insurance when verifying registration. My son nor I can pay the escalating ticket. We are jobless and my husband only has a temp part time job. What can we do?

Asked on October 3, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot pay the traffic ticket fine all at once with respect to the offense that you are writing about then I suggest that you contact the court clerk to set up a monthly payment plan on terms that you and your son can afford in writing. The above is the only viable solution to your situation since municipalities expect tickets and fines to be paid in full.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption