If I have mentally disabled 17 year old and I divorce, is he eligible for any type of child support after 18?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have mentally disabled 17 year old and I divorce, is he eligible for any type of child support after 18?

I had to demote to a different type of work to reduce my hours so now I hardly any money. My husband physically abused son (CPS was involved). I said that I would take over all care to de-stress husband. He is very verbally/emotionally abusive to me but not physically. My husband makes a lot of money (170K) and since becoming successful has completely changed into a mean/nasty man. I don’t know how to afford an attorney. We have a house and will probably each walk away with 80K. Will that mean I’m not eligible for any support?

Asked on August 8, 2012 under Family Law, California



Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The fact that you have a house with equity, in which you should each walk away with 80K, does not prevent you from obtaining support.  If he makes substantially more than you, you should be able to get spousal support.  With respect to your child, if that was a child of this marriage, under certain circumstances you can obtain child support extended beyond the child's 18th birthday.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption