I’m filing a complaint against a payday loan company, can I stop paying the loan until it is resolved?

UPDATED: Feb 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I’m filing a complaint against a payday loan company, can I stop paying the loan until it is resolved?

Filing a complaint with the BBB and OAG. The original loan amount was $600 to date I have paid $2880 and nothing has gone towards the principle. I feel that I was misinformed about the repayment terms. What can I do ?

Asked on February 7, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

That is really unbelieveable!  Well you can stop paying if you want but that may indeed prompt the loan holder to file an action against you for what would be a breach of your agreement (contract) to pay.  May I suggest that in addition to filing with the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney Genera's Office - both very good ideas as starters - that you seek consultation with an attorney in your area on the matter?  Use the money in a much wiser way by paying someone to look at the agreement and let you know where you stand legally with regard to the law in New York. Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption