If I’m filing a civil suit against a business in one state but I live in another, can I submit my claim in the local court?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m filing a civil suit against a business in one state but I live in another, can I submit my claim in the local court?

The business sold/shipped me defective wood floor material. I contracted a professional, licenced installer to do the job. About 4 months after it was installed I noticed some of the wood boards were cracked. Now the business wants to give me “store credit” only for the material but doesn’t include removal and re-installation; which is over $1,000, just for installation, cement, and trim. Their defective material caused the extra expenses.

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. / MacGregor Lyon, LLC.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Probably not, but it depends on your state's laws regarding lawsuits against non-resident entities.  You will most likely have to file where the company has an office/registered agent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption