If I’m currently going through a divorce, can I change my cell phone number?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m currently going through a divorce, can I change my cell phone number?

Also, I’m been asked to not leave anything blank on my sworn financial statement. What do I do with the areas that don’t apply to me?

Asked on October 29, 2015 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) Legally, you can change your cell phone number at any time you wish. It would be a good idea to send a letter to the court (send to the specific judge on the matter, if one has been assigned, and to the clerk more generally) and to your spouse's attorney (if he/she has one) or spouse (if no lawyer) so you don't miss any important notices or communications.
2) If it doesn't apply, write in "N/A" or "not applicable" or, if relevant, a slightly longer explanation. E.g. say a section asks for brokerage accounts: you could write "I do not have any brokerage accounts."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption