Is there any way that I can get into the country/extend my work visa through my mother rather than through an employer?

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way that I can get into the country/extend my work visa through my mother rather than through an employer?

I’m Canadian and have an MBA from the States and an OPT visa that is valid for another 15 months. My mom is a permanent resident/green card holder. I am over 21. If she applies to get me into the country, they say the wait is 6-8 years. Someone told me about a “change of status” form and that I can send the form in to get a temporary green card while I am waiting for the application from my mother to process. Is this true?

Asked on April 18, 2013 under Immigration Law, Missouri


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello, you will qualify to "adjust your status" in the future. However,  you will need to wait for your priority date in 6-8 years before you can do that. Thus, you cannot get a temporary card while you wait. You will need to maintain your temporary visa status while you wait. Thus, you should have an employer sponsor a TN visa for you or an H1b when the new quota opens in 2014.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption