I’m being charged with possession of a controlled substance do I need a lawyer to defend me?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I’m being charged with possession of a controlled substance do I need a lawyer to defend me?

If not what should I do? I was riding in a car with a few mints and ibuprofen given to me by sister. I didn’t have them in a container just in my pocket. I wasn’t read my Miranda rights only searched,handcuffed, and put in the backseat. What should I do? Trial is on Tuesday. Should I speak with a criminal defense attorney? In Atlanta, GA.

Asked on August 20, 2011 Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should speak with an attorney as soon as you can.,  Why were you not appointed an attorney at the arraignment?  Did the court advise you of your right to have one appointed?  Too many questions here that need clarification.  In any event, I see a few issues: first, why was the car stopped (was it legally stopped) and why were you searched (if the car was not legally stopped then the search is illegal too)?  When you say "controlled substance" so you mean prescription strength ibuprofen? This matter really sends up a bunch of red flags.  Go and speak with an attorney asap.  Seek help from legal aid if need be but make sure that if you appear on Tuesday without an attorney you state ON THE RECORD AND IN FRONT OF THE JUDGE that you need to have an attorney and you wish to have one appointed.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption