If I’m a single mom, what will happen to my child if I pass away?

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a single mom, what will happen to my child if I pass away?

I want to know what I need to do in order to secure a safe living enviornment with someone who loves my child if something were to ever happen to me. What are the steps I need to follow so this is set in the legal eye?

Asked on April 3, 2012 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


Steven Fromm / Steven J Fromm & Associates, P.C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to meet with an estates attorney to draft a will that provides for guardianship provisions and to set up an overall estate plan that works in practice.  For more on this please read

Estate Planning Mistakes: 5 Not So Easy Pieces

 at the following link: http://www.sjfpc.com/estate_planning_drafting_wills_trusts.html

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption