How does a stock’s dividends get split in a divorce?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How does a stock’s dividends get split in a divorce?

I’m recently divorced and had 10% ownership in a company an per the divorce decree she was intitled to 50% of its value. I paid her for the 50% value $100K. Would she be entitled to 20% of my yearly dividend from this stock since she was bought out

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The stoks are an asset that was obviously divided.  Was there a formal agreement as to the value that you were giving the stock and her agreement to take the cash up front as her share and to waive any rights in the future?  There should have been and if not then seek help asap.  If the buy out was truly a buy out of her share then the stock is all yours at this point in time and you would collect the dividends alone.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption