I’m a minor and my great-grandfather just died a few weeks ago, and left me $10,000 USD. Can I receive the money now?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I’m a minor and my great-grandfather just died a few weeks ago, and left me $10,000 USD. Can I receive the money now?

I would like too know the ability of my parents and/or grandparents to take my money and put it in a trust or otherwise stop me from getting the money?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Estate Planning, Washington


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Whether you can get the money now or not is determined by the wording of the will or trust.  I'm not a Washington attorney, but in my state (California) and in most states, money left to minors is placed into a trust until they are of legal age.  In some states it is 18, in others, 21.  If it was in a trust, then the trust would spell out when and how you are to receive the money.  If there were no specific instructions, then your parents can place it in a trust or a custodial account until you turn 18 or 21, whichever is the legal age in Washington.  You'll be happy they did, because then you'll have the money to use for college, or to buy a car instead of blowing it now!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption