What to do if I’m 17 years old and was charged with assault on my sister>

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m 17 years old and was charged with assault on my sister>

I kicked her and broke her hand, by accident, while she was beating me up. She hit me first, many times. If you ask me, it was completely in self defense. This is my first charge ever and because I had no place to stay any more because I was living with my sister and she got an order of protection, I had to stay in jail for 6 days, until finally my aunt came and took custody of me. Now I have to return to court next month and am worried I might get more jail time. Another concern I have is that they ordered that I go to school and drug treatment. I am going to drug treatment but am not going to school. I am working on getting my GED instead. Is that okay to the judge?

Asked on June 6, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Given the situation that you have written about I suggest that you ask the court to assign you an attorney experienced in juvenile law. Based upon what you have written about and the difficulties in your life, it seems that having your own attorney represent you in the criminal processing would be the best recourse for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption