If I lost my hearing after a total knee replacement, is this grounds for medical malpractice?

UPDATED: Feb 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I lost my hearing after a total knee replacement, is this grounds for medical malpractice?

My hearing was fine prior to surgery and now I can hardly hear at all.

Asked on February 7, 2013 under Malpractice Law, South Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This could be a basis for a medical malpractice claim.  However, to prevail on the claim, you will have to prove that the hearing injury is a direct result of the doctor's malpractice.  To do this, you need to get a copy of your medical records and have them reviewed by another doctor.  If you're not sure how to do this, then consult with a medical malpractice attorney.  They can help you with procuring your records and finding an expert that will be appropriate for evaluating your case before you make the final decision on whether or not to file a med mal lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption