What to do if I loaned my truck to someone who wrecked it?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I loaned my truck to someone who wrecked it?

She first said she would take care of it but now won’t. The accident occured on private property. What are my chances if I take her to court and if I lose might I have to pay her attorney?

Asked on March 27, 2013 under Accident Law, Florida


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You gave her permission to borrow the truck, not wreck the truck.  If she is responsible for the damage and has already acknowledged that it is her responsibility, you have a good case against her for the property damage.  It doesn't matter that the accident occurred on private property.  What does matter is that she was negligent in her care of your truck and caused the damages.  If you are concerned about a specific issue associated with her use of the vehicle, arrange for a consultation with a vehicle/personal injury attorney to review any specific factors that are concerning you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption