I loaned my car to a friend, it was in accident while in their care

UPDATED: May 25, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I loaned my car to a friend, it was in accident while in their care

I loaned my car to a friend, he was in the left lane when a car came from the right lane hitting my car on the passenger side causing it to flip over into oncoming traffic. The other person didnt report the accident to her insurance. I contacted them after not hearing from them for 3 weeks.The police report says the other driver made an improper lane change. Her insurance company says they cant seem to contact her. How do I get this matter taken care of? Can I sue her or her insurance in civil court?

Asked on May 25, 2009 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I presume you have injuries, no?  In any event, you should file a lawsuit against the driver and place the insurance carrier on notice of the suit... You should also place your insurance carrier on notice as well as there may be an uninsured or underinsured claim that you will need to file and you want to make sure you protect your rights.  I suggest that you go see a lawyer ASAP and bring the police report as well as any hospital records car estimate or whatever else you have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption