What are my rights if I live on a farm that my landlord lost in a foreclosure?

UPDATED: Mar 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I live on a farm that my landlord lost in a foreclosure?

Don;t I have 90 days to move? I am also disabled, does that give me more time? I also have crops planted (winter wheat). Can I stay until the crops are harvested? Do I still own the crops?

Asked on March 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written lease for the foreclosed unit that you occupy and are current on your lease, you have until the lease terminates under 2010 federal law to remain. If the lease is a month-to-month lease, then you have at least 90 days to move out from when you first receive notice of move out from the new landlord.

If your deal is to have the crops on the property, then most likely you have until the time they are harvested. I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the situation you are now in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption