If I was suspended without pay 2 weeks ago, how long can they suspend me without completing investigation?

UPDATED: May 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was suspended without pay 2 weeks ago, how long can they suspend me without completing investigation?

I was suspended for misappropriation of funds pending an investigation. This is not true. It is a small non profit run by a BOD and I still have no answer. Should there be a timetable? Nothing in the manual about this. Can I get unemployment?

Asked on May 22, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


James Walcheske / Walcheske & Luzi, LLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is no generally accepted, set timetable for how long an investigation may/will take.  Even if there were a timeframe provided in the employee handbook, that still would not even give you a real answer, as the employer would likely not be bound by it.  

That said, you very well may be eligible for unemployment and suggest that you contact the unemployment department about your situation.  Additionally, if you believe that the suspension was the result of discrimination based on a protected category you belong to (age, race, sex, just got back from FMLA leave, pregnancy, etc.), you should consult with an employment law attorney.

Hope that helped.


James A. Walcheske

Walcheske & Luzi, LLC


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption