What can I do if I pled guilty to a petty theft charge 3 years ago without realizing the full impact of it?

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I pled guilty to a petty theft charge 3 years ago without realizing the full impact of it?

It was my first run in with the law and now it may preclude me from pursuing my career. I have paid all the restitution and served the probation but I was wondering if I can have it taken off of my record instead of waiting to expunge it which will take another 2 years?

Asked on April 2, 2013 under Criminal Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about you need to consult with a criminal defense attorney as soon as you can to see what your legal options are including the sealing of your file. From what you have written and the passage of three (3) years, it does not seem that you can do much other than wait for the time to file a petition to expunge the conviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption