If a lawsuit is filed could my wages be garnished?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a lawsuit is filed could my wages be garnished?

We are with a consolidating company that is taking care of paying our debt. They are taking care of our big creditor right now and we also have this company on the list. We live in TX.

Asked on July 20, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In the event a lawsuit is filed against you for money owed by one of your creditors, you owe the money claimed and have no good reasons why payment in full has not been made, most likely a judgment for the amount that you owed could be entered against you for a specific dollar amount.

If that happens, and an agreement is not reached to make installment payments for what is owed on the judgment, the judgment creditor (person who has the judgment) could start the levy process against you for payment which could very well include the garnishment of your wages from your pay from your employer.

Work with the consolidation company you have to get your monthly payments on your obligations in order.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption