If I am about to be service with papers from a debt collector and they win in court, what will happen?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am about to be service with papers from a debt collector and they win in court, what will happen?

I assume they will make me pay but how? If it’s wage garnishment, how much do they normally take?

Asked on October 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are served with a Summons and Complaint for a debt by a creditor then you need to go to court and answer the proceeding. If you do not then they will take a default against you for the amount in the paperwork plus attorney's fees. If you go to court you have a chance to negotiate your debt.  Now, if they obtain a judgement they can go after you in any way the law in your state allows.  In Texas wage garnishment is only permitted for unpaid income taxes, court ordered alimony and child support, and defaulted student loans.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption