If I’m getting divorced, am I entitled to half of the money from the sale of our house?

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m getting divorced, am I entitled to half of the money from the sale of our house?

My husband is a home builder and the house we live in was build under his company name. He has had the business for 20 years; we have been married for 3 years.

Asked on February 8, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Community property is any property purchased or aquired during the marriage.  If your husband's company aquired the home during your marriage, then you have a potential claim to a portion of the proceeds.  Texas is a 'fair and equitable' state... not a fifty-fifty state.  The judges do strive for equal division, but they can do unequal division when it's needed.  For example, if one spouse is taking a larger portion of the debt, they can be awarded a larger share of the assets.
Your husband will most likely try to argue that the house is owned by his company.  The name on the title isn't what is necessarily what is most important.  What is important is when and how the house was purchased.  He doesn't realize that all the income generated by the business is community income, even if the business itself remained separate.  If community income paid for the house... then the house is hands-down a community asset.  A good family law attorney will be able to assist you in defeating his allegations. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption