If I have been put on work restrictions by my doctor due to an on the job injury, can I lose my job?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have been put on work restrictions by my doctor due to an on the job injury, can I lose my job?

I have a work release from my dr saying I am on light duty with no more than 5 pounds lifting. I had to go back to my doctor because of pain and had to miss work. Now I have a work statement that says no lifting period.

Asked on March 27, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you can't do your job, you can lose your job: your employer is not required to retain or pay people who can't do what they were hired for. If they can make "reasonable accomodations" to let you do your work--things which are not too costly or disruptive and which let you work productively--they must; but if given the nature of your job, the restrictions mean you can't do it, they can fire you--they don't have to pay you to not work, they don't have to make up a new job for you which they don't need, etc. The doctor's note doesn't protect you: the doctor is no the owner or manager of your company and can't decide for them what to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption