I live in Southern California. I got a ticket for not having a Guard card, I didn’t know I needed one. It’s my first time getting a ticket like this

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I live in Southern California. I got a ticket for not having a Guard card, I didn’t know I needed one. It’s my first time getting a ticket like this

I live in Southern California. I recently helped my friend work the door as security at a club. The police came and shut the club down and gave me a ticket for “16240 B:p – No Guard Card”. This had been my first time working security for anyone and I did not know I needed one and informed the police officer and he told me I had to go to court. My question is: What usually happens in these situations for a first offense. I am just worried about it because i do not wanted it on my record because i am trying to be a police officer and it would not look good. I would appreciate your response. T

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This is a misdemeanor offense.  A conviction of this type should not prohibit you from a career in law enforcement.  You should however, check with the appropriate agency that you would be applying with to make sure.  Additionally, if you want a career out of law enforcement there is a possibility that this conviction could be "expunged"; that is stricken from your record as though it never happened.  There are certain requirements for this.

Right now you need to speak with a criminal attorney.  They will know how you best should proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption