How can I find out if I have squatter’s rights to some property?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out if I have squatter’s rights to some property?

I have been taking care of the property that boarders mine about an acre because a creek runs though it and it was overgrown the first year I was there. Since then 6 years I have been taking care of it – mowing, cutting up downed limbs, etc. There is also a small barn that I have been repairing so it doesn’t look as a banded. Do I have any legal squatter’s rights to claim the land?

Asked on September 3, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In your state, after 15 years--not six--IF you have been occupying the land and have been doing so in a way that is or could be obvious to the legal owner i.e. the legal owner could tell that someone is occupying it, if the legal owner visits his/her land and looks, then you may be able to claim the land under the doctrine of "adverse possession." However, six years of use, occupancy, or care does not give you any rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption