What to do if I live in one state but got a DUI in another and lost my license in both states?

UPDATED: Apr 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I live in one state but got a DUI in another and lost my license in both states?

I got the DUI 5 months ago and they just now revoked my license in my state of residence. They revoked my license in the state in which I got arrested in 4 months ago. Do I have to take my driver’s test in both states? And is it even legal for them to revoke it 4 months after the fact in the state that I didn’t get it in?

Asked on April 14, 2013 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello.  Attorneys are licensed within a given state so provide legal advice for legal matters pertaining to states in which they are licensed.  I would be happy to review the circumstances of your many legal concerns to the extent I could do so. Generally speaking, there often are time delays involved in a revocation of driver's license.  All the best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption