What to do if our company has had a history of thefts on the property but has done nothing to prevent it?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if our company has had a history of thefts on the property but has done nothing to prevent it?

It has been going on for 2 years now. Cars have been broken into and bricks have been thrown at cars causing damage. Recently, someone’s car had the windows shot out. Is the company liable at this point because of the repeated occurances and their lack to do anything about it?

Asked on October 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country if an employer is on actual knowledge of criminal behavior occurring on work premises the employer is required to take proper safeguards to try and correct the problem. I suggest that you consult with your human resources department or your immediate supervisor as to the need to remedy the problem and follow up with an e mail confirming the meeting.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption