If I live in an apartment, shouldn’t I be able to take back my “30 day notice” if it hasn’t even started yet?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I live in an apartment, shouldn’t I be able to take back my “30 day notice” if it hasn’t even started yet?

About 2 weeks ago I submitted a “30 day notice” to vacate. However, this 30 day notice is for the end of next month 30th which is the end of my year contract anyway. I would like to now stay on a month-to-month basis and not move out on the 30th. The office has told me they already have someone moving in on October 10th and I cannot retract the 30 days. It hasn’t even started the “30 days” until the 1st.

Asked on August 25, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

A lease is a contract. A contract may be modified, such as a change in its duration or expiration date, by the mutual agreement of the parties. It cannot be changed back or changed again except by mutual agreement. When you gave your 30 day notice and your landlord accepted it, that changed your tenancy end date. You cannot change it again, decide to stay longer, etc., unless the landlord chooses to agree to do this--and they are not required to agree to this. They can hold you to the end date you provided notice of.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption