If I’m 18 years old and am in a car with a 21 year old, could I get a ticket for his open beer if we are pulled over?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m 18 years old and am in a car with a 21 year old, could I get a ticket for his open beer if we are pulled over?

Could I get breathalyzed in result of being a passenger with a 21 year old that has an open beer?

Asked on August 31, 2014 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

State laws prohibit open alcoholic drinks / containers in cars. Period. If you are pulled over the Police will have the discretion to write you a ticket (most likely an MIP). Breathalyzers are given drivers to justify DUI/DWI offenses.  Passengers are not generally tested that way.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption