If I have a child with my boyfriend, what are his rights?

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a child with my boyfriend, what are his rights?

His name is on the birth certificate. My parents keep bugging me about a will. I figured since his name is on the birth certificate and he is the biological father that if I die, he automatically gets custody and vice verse. We are not married, but have been living together for the past 2 years. Do we really need to get a will and if we do, is there a place to get one done for free?

Asked on October 29, 2013 under Family Law, Florida


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The purpose of a will is to provide for the inheritance of money and possessions, not children.  You can not will custody of your child.  If you were to die and you and the boy's father were not married but you were all living as a family, and if no one challenged the father's fitness to raise his child, the "custody" situation would remain unchanged.  That said, when you have children, it is always a good idea to have a will, especially in a situation such as this where you and the child's father are not married.  You will want to have a will to leave all your possessions to the child's father, which will not happen without a will.  Instead, all your possessions would go to your parents.  You can buy software to do it yourself, or hire an attorney.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption