IfI live in one state and I have a custody case in another, how do I get a mediation fee waiver or better yet how can I change my case to my state?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI live in one state and I have a custody case in another, how do I get a mediation fee waiver or better yet how can I change my case to my state?

I live with 2 of my kids and my ex lived with our other 2 kids at their grandmas. We switched kids in the summer and I sent money for the other 2 for holidays. This went on for 6 years. Then my ex filed for custody of all 4 kids in her state without letting me know and then came to my state and took my children because she lied to the court and got full custody. I have 1 child now she abandoned, doesn’t even call. Half my paycheck is taken every week. Since this was my kid’s home state when she filed and I have one now, can I change the case to here. If not how do I find the mediation fee waiver?

Asked on August 8, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and transfer your family law matter presently venued in another state than the one you reside in is to consult with a family law attorney in the state you reside in to see if such can be done by way of either a stipulation dated and signed by your "ex" or by a petition. My experience is that if one state has had jurisdiction over a family court matter for a significant period of time, it is difficult to get it transferred to another state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption