If I’m a personal representative of and estate, can I get paid for my time and expenses?

UPDATED: Mar 31, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 31, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a personal representative of and estate, can I get paid for my time and expenses?

It has taken large amounts of my time away from me working. The estate is not work that much. I know that I can get a 3% of estate but can I get paid for my time and expenses. As representative, can I make the decision to pay me more and submit that to the judge?

Asked on March 31, 2015 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If an estate takes a great deal of time and work to probate then the executor can apply to the court to increase their fee.  I caution you that it is never a good idea to make a decsion to pay your self without asking the court's permission first.  The court generally looks to the complexity of the estate in deciding to increase the fee, as well as the size of the estate.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption