What to do if I have been released by my doctor to work but not to drive?

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have been released by my doctor to work but not to drive?

I am pregnant and got pneumonia 2 months ago. This landed me in the hospital for a couple weeks, and I have been on FMLA since. My doctor has released me to work, but he has not released me to drive. My job is currently 40 minutes away, yet there is an office 2 minutes from my house. The doctor suggested I be transferred to the closer office so I could get rides to work, but my work said they couldn’t do that. FMLA runs out in two weeks. Can I qualify for unemployment when FMLA runs out. I have been released to work, I just cannot drive.

Asked on January 28, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If there is public transportation that can get you to your job and you elect to quit your job rather than use it until you can drive yourself, then no, you will not qualify for unemployment.  If there is no public transportation and no way for you to get to work without driving yourself, then your employer is effectively terminating you, and you may very well qualify for unemployment, but expect your employer to fight you on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption