Where to hire an attorney if I live in CO but my company is based in CA and NY?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where to hire an attorney if I live in CO but my company is based in CA and NY?

I’m about to be laid off as my company’s assets are being sold. I would like

an attorney to review the severance package when I receive it. Am I under

the employment laws of CO or the state where the company is based; NY is

the main office? I am the only employee in CO remote but full-time regular, with 12 years of tenure and the company is less than 50 people. Most of our

office getting laid off is based in CA but the parent company is in NY.

Asked on July 13, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Wait until you receive the severance package to decide where and by whom to review the agreement. It is common for a severance agreement to have a "choice of law" clause in it which  specifies which state's law applies; such agreements also often have a "venue selection" clause which indicates in which state's courts any dispute over the agreement or action to enforce it will be heard. Once you see the agreement, you will know who best to review.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption