What can happen if I was in a car accident but without insurance since I was late on making my monthly payment due to financial hardship?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen if I was in a car accident but without insurance since I was late on making my monthly payment due to financial hardship?

While driving the freeway my tire blew out and I ended up flipping on my side. As I spun accross the freeway, my car hit another vehicle (company owned) and it also flipped upside down. The driver was taken to the hospital but I don’t know the extent of his injuries. Although I don’t believe this is my fault as I clearly could not avoid hitting him since my vehicle was out of my control, can he or his/his company’s insurance sue me for damages, loss of wages, etc? I have not heard from them as of yet and it has been a few months since the accident. What advice can you give me?

Asked on January 2, 2014 under Accident Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written, you have no insurance to cover you in the event of a lawsuit over the mishap that you have written about. The other party has at least a year to file suit against you for the accident. I suggest that you consult with a personal injury defense attorney about your matter in preparation for a likely lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption