What to do if I live in a mobile home park and a tree fell on my carport and car destroying both?

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I live in a mobile home park and a tree fell on my carport and car destroying both?

I own the mobile and rent the space. Does the property owner have any legal responsibility? I have no insurance.

Asked on April 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The property owner might be liable if he or she had reason to know the tree posed some particular hazard but failed to take action. That is, if someone reported to the owner that the tree was sick or dying, that it was leaning dangerously, that its  roots were failing, etc. (or in the absence  of reports, if the circumstances were such that a reasonable property owner could not help but notice the problem--e.g. the tree was in a very obvious location the owner regularly passed by) and despite knowing of the hazard, the owner did not take reasonable steps (like trimming, or even cutting down, the tree), that failure to take action to avert a known hazard can give rise to liability. Howver, without some warning of the hazard, the property owner would not be liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption