If Ilive in a building that is not up to code, can I break my lease and move?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ilive in a building that is not up to code, can I break my lease and move?

It’s been almost 6 months since I moved in and there are still issues. There is no fire escape (only one exit out of my apartment), the wall in the bathroom has not been fixed (constantly falls out), and they left a mess of parts in my bedroom when they put a heating unit in June (had no heat since we moved in in February). Code enforcement is letting the building remain open. There are other building violations as well.

Asked on July 15, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to speak with an attorney for a definitive answer--a lawyer needs to review your specific situation.

As a general matter: breaches of a lease, including (1) not getting what you're paying for (includingg not getting a legal apartment, due to code violations) (2) breaches of the "implied warranty" of habitability (i.e. the place is essentially not inhabitable), or (3) breaches of the "covenant of quiet enjoyment" (not being able to "enjoy" or use w/out disturbance your premises) will typically result in monetary damages and may also allow you to seek a court order (e.g. injunction) forcing the landlord to fix the condition.

Certain material, or important, violations may provide grounds to break the lease. The heating problem might (though the urgency is lessened by summer) and the lack of a fire escape (safety) might also; a damaged wall and a mess of parts typically would not. However, if you break the lease improperly, which means, among other things, not giving the landlord a proper opportunity to cure, or repair, the problems, can result in your own liability. That's why, while you may have grounds to get out of the lease, you should consult with an attorney first who can evaluate your own unique situation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption