I lent someone my car, she hit a curve and caused 11,000 in damages, can I sue them for damages?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I lent someone my car, she hit a curve and caused 11,000 in damages, can I sue them for damages?

I lent my car to a friend and she ran into the curb causing extensive damages. When I asked her what happened, she stated she wasn’t paying attention she was trying to turn up the radio. When the accident first happened, she said she would pay for the damages out of her pocket. Now she is refusing to pay. I have a text message from her agreeing to pay for the damages. Can I sue her for the repair cost?

Asked on April 16, 2018 under Accident Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sur her for the money. Regardless of the text message (I.e. even if she had not sent it), if she was at fault in hitting the curb--which she would be, since you are driving carelessly to hit a stationary object--and damaging your car, she us liable, or responsible to pay for the damage. So if she will not pay voluntarily b you could sue with a good chance of winning.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption