If I left my rather pricey bicycle at a friend’s house for about 4 months and he sold it without my permission, whatcan I do?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I left my rather pricey bicycle at a friend’s house for about 4 months and he sold it without my permission, whatcan I do?

He made no effort to contact me to take any action to move or retrieve the bike. He knew that I was going to leave it at his house for an indefinite amount of time.

Asked on March 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Wyoming


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

 Your friend knew you had not abandoned the bicycle.  You could sue your friend for conversion for selling the bicycle.  Conversion is the unauthorized assumption and exercise of the right of ownership over the pesonal property of another to the exclusion of the owner's rights.  Conversion is an unauthorized act which deprives an owner of his property permanently which occurred when your friend sold your bicycle.

Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the value of the bicycle.  In a lawsuit for conversion, your damages would be referred to as a forced sale which would be the value of the bicycle.  Depending on the amount of your damages, you might be able to file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  Your damages should also include court costs which would be the court filing fee and process server fee. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption