What to do if I just recieved a bill from a collection agency from a doctor’s office visit from 10 years ago?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I just recieved a bill from a collection agency from a doctor’s office visit from 10 years ago?

I had health insurance and it should have been covered by that. Can they actually put this on my credit this late? Do they have any legal standing to collect and does it matter if I claimed bankrupcy 2 years ago?

Asked on March 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you claimed bankruptcy two years ago, did you claim this debt from a doctor that you are writing about on your bankruptcy schedule? If not, you did not provide the proper notice to discharge this debt.

However, under the laws of most states in this country, if this debt is more than four (4) years old, most likely it is time barred from collection if no lawsuit has been filed. I suggest that you write the debt collection company advising that the debt is barred from collection under your state's statute of limitations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption