What can I do if I was not paid the rate that I was promised by my employer?

UPDATED: May 4, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 4, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was not paid the rate that I was promised by my employer?

I just recently quit my job at a restaurant. I made $2.13 an hour, plus tips. My employer asked me to work a hosting shift which pays $7.25 an hour. However, since I ama server I couldn’t clock as a host, so my manager told me that it would be added to payroll regardless. I went and picked up my last paycheck today butit was not on there. They wouldn’t give me the time of day to ask them about it. It was a 9 hour shift and when you only make $2.13 those 9 hours make a huge difference. Would I be able to call corporate about it/ would they do anything? Personally, I think I have a right to that money.

Asked on May 4, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you speak with your supervior/employer about the agreement that you both had. That may be the best way to resolve the issue. If that does not resolve the issue, contact a labor law attorney in your locality (or the nearest labor department). Such an attorney can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption