What doI do if I just recently got into a minor fender bender no body damage to both cars and the vehicle I was driving isn’t mine?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What doI do if I just recently got into a minor fender bender no body damage to both cars and the vehicle I was driving isn’t mine?

I was driving a friend’s car. No physical body damage to either vehicle. The person I had the fender bender with exited her vehicle with a cell phone to her ear and claims this same kind of accident like happened before 3 times. Just minor scratches to my friends car. The lady went and got her own estimate on her car and claims there is $1200 damage to hers now how’s that? My friend’s car would of sustained that same amount of damage or more wouldn’t it? No police was involved and I have not received any letters from her insurance company of the report of accident or one of there reps sent out to estimate the damage.

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you hit her car, your friend as the registered owner of the vehicle you were driving is liable for the accident.  The other driver could file a claim with your friend's insurance carrier.  If she hit the car you were driving, your friend could file a claim with the other driver's insurance carrier.  If she was on her cellphone and hit your car, she is clearly liable for the accident.  Since there was no damage to her car and she is claiming $1200 in property damage, it sounds like a scam.  Your friend's insurance carrier will handle the matter and will probably deny the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption