What to do if I just received indictment papers in the mail with charges for resisting arrest and disruption of official business?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I just received indictment papers in the mail with charges for resisting arrest and disruption of official business?

The city that arrested me said a warrant was issued but never explained or gave me any documentation or notifications on why. I was harrassed by them for several days with them saying they were gonna come to my house and drag me out and I got pulled over by the city that harrassed me and ran as soon as they pulled me over because I didn’t know why they had a warrant.

Asked on March 29, 2013 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Since a warrant has already been issued, you need to consut directly with a criminal law attorney and take care of this ASAP. Warrants don't expire and as long as there is one out for your arrest you risk being taken into custody and jailed. At the very least, this will affect future employment, rental housing, student loans, etc. Again, find a lawyer that practices in criminal matters; get one in the area of where the warrant was issued so that they can utilize their local contacts with the court system to your best advantage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption