What to do if I just received a motion for contempt for a debt that was my responsibility but still had my ex-husband’s name on it since I failed to have it removed?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I just received a motion for contempt for a debt that was my responsibility but still had my ex-husband’s name on it since I failed to have it removed?

No where in our divorce papers did it stipulate that I was to remove his name. I thought he would do this since his name was on the credit line so he received statements. He could have removed his name but failed to do so. Now his attorney has filed for contempt because I failed to take his name off. He paid the debt and I am willing to sign a note that I will pay him back when I sell my home. What do I need to do? I have no money, I work full-time and can barely pay my bills. I am ready to file bankruptcy.

Asked on July 28, 2015 under Family Law, Arizona


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

First... get the bankruptcy going and make sure you include this obligation.  Send a copy of the bankruptcy petition to your husband's attorney.  This will help stay any collection activity until you can get back on your feet financially. 

The bankruptcy can also be a defense to the enforcment action because it will be evidence of your inability to pay... meaning that you didn't intentionally fail to comply with the court order. 

Even though you are representing yourself, you can make valid arguments to the judge.  Basically you need to explain to the judge that "contempt is not appropriate at this time because the divorce decree only spelled out who was to pay the debt-- but it did not spell out whose name would be on it and how long you had to pay on the account.

For additional assistance, contact your local clerk and see what legal clinics are available in your area.  If there are clinics available, you can take your decree to an attorney to see, what, if any, additionally remedies might be available to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption