If I just received a bill for my son’s birth 21 months after he was born, is it legal for them to wait so long to bill me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I just received a bill for my son’s birth 21 months after he was born, is it legal for them to wait so long to bill me?

My son was born 21 months ago. yet, I just received a bill today for this birth. Can the hospital wait that long to bill me? What steps do I need to take for corrective action? Should I consult my insurance company and a lawyer? I know that I paid multiple bills after the time of birth. Why would I have been charged for other things and then not the birth for all of these months?

Asked on November 8, 2016 under Business Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no law saying that all bills must be sent at the same time, or that someone gives up the right to be paid by not sending a bill promptly. In your state, a bill for medical services can be legally enforced (i.e. if not paid, the hospital can sue you) for up to 6 years after the service were rendered, so they are will within time to bill you and expect to be paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption